Friday, April 28, 2017

Looking for Pattern Testers and Mystery Lovers

Your response has been great; the Mystery is on!







If you are new to this blog here is the latest.  I am releasing a new pattern in September 2017; while I am putting it together I will be running the pattern as a mystery.  The quilt is based on the blocks in my 1937 Malaga friendship quilt, with additional blocks from quilting books published in the 1930s.  You do not need to sign up for the mystery, the weekly instructions will be on this blog with a link to the Facebook page.  I would appreciate your feedback on the blocks and you have permission to point out any mistakes.

The first blocks will be on the blog next Friday Australian time, which will be late Thursday North America time.


  • The blocks are all traditional pieced blocks. If you have been making sew along blocks over the past few months they can be included.  There are no applique blocks or difficult blocks.
  • The quilt is small.  The finished size is 36 x 42 inches - if you add a six inch border then the finished size is 48 x 54 inches (a good size for bunk beds).
  • 1930s prints are just right, fat quarters are good, layer cakes are fine.  You will need about 1.25 yards/metres or background material and about 1.5 yards/metres of prints and solids.  The pattern will suit a scrappy collection of fabrics. You will also need fabric for any borders and the backing.
  • The mystery should run for about 10 weeks. 

These are the new fabrics that I am going to use, I am adding them to my current collection of 1930s feedsack prints.





For my background I am going to use those five solids in the photo.  The feedsack prints do not have a wide range of tonal quality ie. light to dark, so I am providing contrast with print and solid as well as colour. Another option is to use white as a background for every block.


White as background; solids as background


Please share the mystery on your social media, the more the merrier.  If you have any questions put them in the comments.  See you next week!



5 comments:

  1. So glad you've had a great response and the Mystery is going ahead. I've already been making some of your Malaga blocks for one of my quilts so I will 'kind of' of be sewing along too. Love your new header pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! See you next week. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great opportunity to play in my 30s stash! Will look for the first post next week.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.