Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Paper Piecing Pinwheel Star

This week's block is a Pinwheel Star.


Isn't it pretty? The geometry is mind boggling, those diamonds don't have equal sides; and three pieces inside the square meet four pieces around the edge.  I used EQ7 to print the pattern BB3866 as templates, then copied the page three more times onto heavy paper to use as English paper piecing templates.  Here is the back view.



English paper piecing - EPP - isn't my favourite activity, it is slow, but the end result is beautifully neat.  My block is 14 inches square.  The original pattern was in The Patchwork Book 1931 as a nine inch block!



I am going to use this big block as the centre of a small quilt.  The fabric range is called Yarra Valley, by the amazing Australian designers Max and Louise. I love the tiny conversation prints.  Here are a few more blocks to go with the Pinwheel Star.



Remember how I retired in March? Me neither.  I thought, with retirement, that I would have lots and lots of time and the blog posts would almost write themselves.  However I have been working again.  I spent three weeks working for the Australian Electoral Commission with the recent Federal election.  Long hours, precision work but entirely fascinating. The election work reminded me how fortunate it was to live in a democracy where everyone has a vote, every vote is equal and every vote counts.

I'll get back to retirement next week.

4 comments:

  1. that is one beautiful block...and yes Lisa and Louises fabric collection is simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The next shirtings collection looks great too.

      Delete
  2. What a dazzling block. I like to make intricate things but you have won the prize for this block. The fussy cutting is delightful and who doesn't like red, white, and blue (and pink)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robin! When I make a tricky block I usually just make one - a whole quiltful would take forever!

      Delete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.