Thursday, November 23, 2017

Kansas Dust Storm

This week's block is Kansas Dust Storm.




The pattern was published in the Kansas City Star in December 1935. It was noted that:
"This 29 patch block is not only a design for a unit in a lovely quilt, but gives an opportunity to record current events of Kansas in a useful form."

I wonder if the good people of Kansas appreciated the "useful form" to record events. April 14th, 1935 was called Black Sunday.  After four years of drought the dust storms were incredible.










Lillie's block is in a quilt made in Oklahoma in 1938. This friendship quilt exhibits a wide variety of sewing expertise; Lillie's block is one of the better made ones. I have reproduced about a third of the blocks so far.








I printed the block outline from EQ7 onto a washaway applique sheet. Then I cut out the pieces, ironed them to the back of the fabric, cut out with a seam allowance.  When the seam allowance was folded over I could then hand sew like English paper piecing.  Some of the washaway fell off before I was done, so I have pulled the backing pieces off (no need to wash).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.