Thursday, May 3, 2018

Banner, Oklahoma 1938

This just finished quilt top is a reproduction of my 1938 signature quilt from Banner, Oklahoma.



The top has been very enjoyable to make, lots of variety and searches for 1930s prints.  Some blocks are pieced, some appliqued and some English paper pieced.  One of my favourite blocks is the flower pot in the middle, Grandmother's Prize.





The original is marked Banner Progressive Club with a wide variety of needlework skills.  The names have been very difficult to trace, unlike other signature quilts in my collection.  I imagine that Oklahoma in the 1930s had a large transient population without generations staying on the family farm.



Banner Elementary School, about 1940

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.