Saturday, January 6, 2018

2018 Happy New Year

All the best for 2018!





This is just finished, another block reproduced from my 1938 Oklahoma friendship quilt.  I put the date on my block, made exactly eighty years after the original.








The pattern is a Laura Wheeler pattern, number 1458 called Grandmother's Prize.  I found the pattern in a newspaper archive shortly after the antique quilt arrived in the post.





Just your typical newspaper quilt pattern in a 1939 newspaper.  Which paper did I find it in?  The Toodyay Herald, from Toodyay, Western Australia, January 6, 1939; exactly seventy-nine years ago today.  So it's not just the USA newspapers that printed quilt patterns, they were found here in Australia too.

Toodyay sounds like a great place to visit.  Wonder if there are any quilts in the museum?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.