Thursday, March 23, 2017

Ohio Stars




According to the experts the Ohio Star or Variable Star block has been around for a long time.  It was first published in Godey's Ladies Book in 1862.

Now, I have a copy of the 1862 Godey's Lady's book on CD-ROM.  I have been through all 1000+ pages, January to December, and I haven't found an Ohio star anywhere. There are many interesting pictures to look at - here's the latest fashions for January 1862.




Patchwork does appear in the June issue and also in September.






And that's all you get.  No instructions, no templates, no handy hints.  Patchwork was menial work and not really worthy of notice by Godey's editorial staff.





For a 9 inch Ohio Star block cut 4 white squares 3.5 by 3.5 inches and one print square the same size.  Cut two white and two print squares 4.5 by 4.5 inches and cut diagonally twice to make 8 white triangles and 8 print triangles.  Join these to make for hour glass blocks.  They will need to be trimmed to 3.5 inches; I like to cut big triangles and then trim to size to make a neater block.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.