Friday, December 13, 2019

Twin Darts ~ a 1940s Quilt Block

This week's block is Twin Darts.






The block's maker is Cora Stewart.  I haven't found out too much about her; she lived in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania like the other block makers, her maiden name was Snyder and her husband John worked on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Cora was one of eleven children but she had no children of her own; I imagine she made a fuss of her nieces and nephews.

This quilt from Armstrong County is not revealing any great secrets.  I have however discovered it was made later than I thought. One of the women on the quilt didn't get married until 1943 so it is one of the younger quilts in my collection.  I have found that one of the makers lived in Sugar Creek Township, which I think has a nicer sound than Armstrong County.  The women are the usual mix of mother and daughters, married sisters, friends and neighbours.  The recipient is possibly "Mother" of the centre block but I don't yet know who Mother is.

Anyway, back to Cora's block.  Twin Darts pattern was published in the Farm Journal magazines which includes The Farmer's Wife. There is a nice example in The Quilt Index, made in Nebraska in 1940.





Achziger, Marie Zeiler. Twin Darts. 1940. From University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Nebraska Quilt Project (Lincoln Quilters Guild). Published in The Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/basicdisplay.php?kid=57-90-7A3. Accessed: 12/14/2019


Most of the images I have seen are with two colours only, Cora used three so I did as well. I drafted the pattern with EQ7.



Some of the Farm Journal patterns were reprinted in a 1970s book called 'Modern Quilting' by Rachel Martens. I might have to get hold of a copy; but I still have trouble accepting that 1970 was almost fifty years ago.

That can't be right!

Can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.