Thursday, September 27, 2018

Martha Washington

As I was sorting out some files in the sewing room I came across the name for another one of my new antique blocks.  At this rate I will have them christened in no time at all.

Martha Washington




For those who don't know, Martha Washington was the first First Lady as she was married to George Washington.  She was know for her quiltmaking; guests to Mount Vernon would find their bed covered with a dozen quilts, each one needing to be admired and folded before there was room to sleep in the bed.


Mount Vernon, Va. Flower Garden postcard by the Mount Vernon Association, 1926



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.