Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Farewell to 2021 - Sunbeam Crossroad

 At the start of 2020, my New Year resolution was to share a quilt block form the Kansas City Star each day on my Facebook page Two Bits Patches.  It was so much fun that I continued into 2021, this time sharing patterns from Nancy Cabot in the Chicago Tribune.  On Christmas Day in 1935 the quilt pattern was Sunbeam Crossroad.


Sunbeam Crossroad



What a cheerful name!  This is how it appeared in the Tribune 86 years ago.



One of the oldest of the middle western patterns is this delightful little pieced block with such a cheerful name.  "Sunbeam Crossroad" first was made in Ohio about 1854.  Blue and white formed the predominant note in the original pattern.  Blue prints with white figures and vice versa were used for some of the patches, while red, white, and dark blue were the plain materials included in the block.  The completed square measures 14 inches, and the entire quilt is composed of these pieced blocks.

 

My block is nine inches, and I had to use sunny colors, not blue and white. And that finishes 2021 in my sewing room.  And 2022?  Lots more newspaper patterns to come!


2 comments:

  1. Such fun, a beautiful quilt block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier than it looks. Put the block on point, and then everything is half square triangles. It went together quickly.

      Delete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.