Thursday, September 20, 2018

On the Hunt for a Name

Yesterday was exciting, a parcel came in the mail. 



Hooray! A new lot of blocks to play with!  They are big blocks, most are 15 inches.  They are perhaps not quite as old as I expected but there are some old fabrics and a mix of hand pieced and machined pieced.  As usual when buying online, the photos were closely examined.  The following was one block that said, Pick Me!




Have you seen this one before? I haven't.

While I was waiting for these blocks to arrive I received another package.  It's a CD-Rom of the Kansas City Star quilts published from 1928 to 1958.  There are over a thousand files, each one a copy of a quilt pattern published in the newspaper.  I do prefer original books but ...  a thousand patterns! How could I resist. 

Not to sure on how to get through so much information I decided to start, logically with the A's. Airplane, Album, Amethyst, Anna's Pride, Arkansas Centennial/Crossroads/Star, Arrow Head .....


Arrow Head.


(Clip and Save.) The contributor of this quilt pattern, Mrs. Mattie Cron, rural route No. 3, Mulhall, Ok., is a quilt fan who likes to share her favorite designs with other enthusiasts. She just has finished a quilt made by this pattern in rose and white.  The block is twelve inches square. - 29 Jan 1936


That wasn't too much of a hunt, my new block is an Arrow Head.  It also demonstrates something that I did not know.  I had assumed that the Kansas City Star quilt patterns were designed by professionals like Ruby McKim.  But the vast majority are blocks contributed by women to the newspaper in the hope of getting published.  Thank you Mrs. Mattie Cron - although that right angled white piece is going to take some skilled needlework to fit.

4 comments:

  1. That right angle in Mrs. Cron's pattern is really 2 pieces in your green sampler block...much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a simple Y type seam... when hand piecing it is much easier to accomplish than trying to get it done with a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.