Thursday, April 19, 2018

An Octagon in Walhalla

A few weeks ago we took a day off to visit one of our favourite spots.



Walhalla, Victoria (Australia) is in the hills of Gippsland.  Gold was discovered there in 1862 and a very busy town grew in the valley for the next fifty years.  Now the town is a tourist destination with about 30 residents and a wealth of history.







The band rotunda was the performance space for the Mountaineer Brass Band.  Mining and brass bands always go together and Walhalla was no exception. The rotunda is octagonal with a high vaulted timber ceiling.  This ceiling makes for interesting acoustics.  My own brass band played in this rotunda a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon.  The shape of the ceiling meant that you could hear the person opposite you in the rotunda but you couldn't hear the players next to you.




Am I the only person who finds quilt patterns in architecture?  I don't think so!  Here is my octagon block inspired by the timber ceiling in Walhalla.



2 comments:

  1. I love your perfectly pieced Walhalla octagon! I wonder if it will become part of a quilt??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! I wonder if you noticed that I staggered my strips so they didn't have to meet at the edges. It may become part of a quilt, but at the moment it is just an orphan waiting for friends.

      Delete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.